In case of unforeseen circumstances, you can apply for extensions for both CHIA examination study period (90 days) and CHIA recertification period (3 years). Extenuating circumstances can include:
- Changes to your parental or carer responsibilities
- Unforeseen or extended illness (medical certificate required)
- Loss of immediate family member
- Environmental disasters (floods, bushfires, etc)
- Impact to your work requirements as a direct result of COVID-19 (recertification extensions only)
Extension requests will be de-identified by CHIA program staff and reviewed by the CHIA Examination Committee (EC).
The length of the extension will be limited and depend on time since registration or certification, and the nature of the unforeseen circumstances.
You will receive a response with the outcome of your extension request within 7 business days.
Examination study extension
You can apply for an extension to your study period if your ability to complete the examination in the allocated 90 days is negatively impacted by unforeseen circumstances. You will need to provide your preferred extension duration, a statement of your circumstances, how you plan to use the additional time to study, and any documentation to support your extension application.
We are unable to grant extension requests in some cases such as:
- Changes in work commitments
- Unexpected travel commitments
- Annual leave / relocating etc.
Extension requests must be submitted 14 days in advance of your end date. They will not be considered after the end date has passed.
You can apply for an extension to your recertification period where you are unable to obtain the 60 CPD points within the recertification period (every 3 years); with a minimum of 50% of the qualifying CPD points earned through relevant Australasian Institute of Digital Health (AIDH) or Health Information Management Association of Australia (HIMAA) activities.
You will need to provide your preferred extension duration, a statement of your circumstances, how you plan to obtain the CPD points and supporting documentation:
- A copy of your CPD Journal, with the points you have accumulated to date,
- Supporting documentation (a medical certificate, approved leave etc)
Extension requests ideally need to be submitted 2 months in advance. They will not be considered after the anniversary/recertification date has passed.