About the exam
Becoming a CHIA involves sitting and passing the CHIA exam
The content of the exam is based on Australia’s 52 health informatics competencies. It is important that you familiarise yourself with this document in your exam preparation.
The CHIA competency framework was developed by academic leaders in the health informatics field, following extensive research and comparative modelling of health and biomedical informatics competencies from across the globe. Designed with a focus on the Australian Healthcare system, the Framework is the backbone to Australia’s industry certification for health informaticians.
CHIA certification, based on these competencies, plays a key role in raising the profile of health informaticians, contributing to a wider recognition of the health informatics profession, and defining more clearly the body of knowledge underpinning this discipline.
- Covering 6 competency areas and 52 competencies
- 104 multiple choice questions – 2 questions on each competency at various levels of difficulty
- Register at a time that suits you
- Study at your own pace
- Exam is completed online, from your personal computer at the time that suits you
- Exam duration – 2.5 hours max
- Exam questions are selected at random (i.e. students re-sitting the exam will not be given the same questions as the first time they sat the exam)
- Managed by an Examination Committee comprising senior Australasian health informaticians
There are 6 domains of expertise that health informaticians know. The CHIA exam covers all 6 areas, as shown on the table. For detailed information of the competencies framework, click here.
|Domain of Expertise||Description||Competencies|
|Information and Communication Technology||Information technology in general, not limited to healthcare, though the principles certainly apply to healthcare||5|
|Health and Biomedical Science||Healthcare systems and practice and basic biomedical science concepts||10|
|Information Science||Information systems in general, not limited to healthcare, though the principles certainly apply to healthcare||8|
|Management Science||Governance and management of systems development, change management, business practices and organisational strategy at all levels||5|
|Core Principles and Methods||Health informatics theoretical foundations, practice and applications||20|
|Human and Social Context||Human and social context related to healthcare and the systems of healthcare including issues of clinical practice, consumers and legal requirements||4|