Become a CHIA in 3 steps
Health informatics is fundamental to the delivery of healthcare. The need for skilled health informaticians will only grow as the volume of health information grows, along with our reliance on digital systems for managing, storing and using health data. Health informaticians have requisite skills and knowledge across six connected yet unique domains. They work at the intersection of healthcare and information technology, across a vast range of delivery models and settings.
CHIA indicates to employers and funders that you have core, up-to-date knowledge of health informatics. Becoming a CHIA is 3 step process:
Check your eligibility
Am I eligible?
In order to register and sit for CHIA you must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- A degree+ plus three (3) years of associated experience*
- Five (5) years of associated experience (no degree required).*
+ Degree can be any degree and does not have to be in health informatics.
* Associated experience includes the following functional areas: health informatics, health administration/management, clinical information systems, e-health, health information systems, health information management. Associated experience is generally considered paid work outside of any vocational course requirements, such as internships and study placements. Volunteer experience may be relevant, but will be assessed on an individual basis with supporting evidence to be submitted.
If you are not sure about your eligibility for CHIA, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submit your application
Begin your registration by providing us with your personal details, supporting documents, and paying the application fee. To register you will need:
- a PDF or readable image (JPEG/PNG) of your university degree (if applicable)
- either a URL link to your Linked-In page or a PDF of your CV to demonstrate your associated experience
- credit card details for payment.
You will be required to pay the registration fee as part of the registration process:
$395 for members (of ACHI/HISA or HIMAA)
$510 for non-members
The fee includes the exam fee and learning materials including a study guide and examination instruction handbook to assist with your preparation. Once your payment is made, you will receive a confirmation email from us, and when your registration is processed, we will notify you of the outcome.
Providing you meet the eligibility requirements, the exam registration fee is non-refundable. If you are found ineligible to complete the exam, your registration fee will be refunded in full.
You will have 90 days from the date you receive your learning materials and instructions (usually the first Friday after you register) to log in and sit your exam. Candidates can sit the exam a 2nd time within the first 90 days if they are unsuccessful at the first sitting.
If you have everything you need and are ready to register for the exam then click the Apply Now button.